Saturday, June 20, 2009

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

There was an old lady from Limerick
Who preferred to write haiku
This one mixes both
Haiku in the middle, on the outside limerick

That was lame, I realise, but I couldn't help it. I just found out that Limerick is a place in Ireland, I find that pretty rad. Sometimes I get the urge to try speaking in iambic pentameter, but I suppress the urge as it would hinder the speed and flow of the conversation if i paused to work out the number of syllables I need to say.

A man bought cigars
he insured them for fires
then smoked them post-haste

He smoked his cigars
he collected some money
then was arrested

Sometimes, the above was such a case, haiku just appears in my head, I'm not sure about the fires bit, but i counted that as two syllables. I read the story about a guy who insured his rare cigars against fire, then he smoked them, claimed money from the insurance company, had to go to court to get it and won, then he was arrested for arson, twenty four separate instances of it. Each sentance had a single year of gaol for punishment, so he had to spend 24 years in jail. as I read it the poems just came, no thinking required. Awesome.

Suddenly I have a lot to say after months of nothing, It's pretty poor form I guess, but I'm still not feeling completely comfortable about the whole deal. Meh, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment